up the wazoo for nada! Re: [sdiy] Panels: BNC Bananas Video

harry harrybissell at prodigy.net
Fri Jun 14 02:45:30 CEST 2002

Hmmm... I'd have to object to the RCA idea.

IMHO the trouble with RCA (phono) jacks is wear. The center connector
in the jack will wear out rapidly... having only bent metal as a spring. The
outer
'tulip' connection of the plug  is the other wear point... better than the
center of the jack...but still bad.  Most RCA patchcords do not have adequate
strain relief either.

For consumer audio they are barely acceptible... for I synth I'd avoid them like

anthrax spores.

Good Banana jacks (with a 360 degree metal barrel) have almost no wearout
mechanism... good for maybe 20 years until the plating is all gone.  The Banana
plugs can range from terrible to very, very good in terms of spring
construction.

The big advantage is that wear in the banana system is limited to the
patchcord...
easily replaced or repaired.

(and yes i do remember the thread but...) Normallized Banana jacks are not
a common feature.

For the highest reliability I'd use XLR connections, then 1/4" phone.

H^) harry

--
Jihad Terrorism Conspiracy New World Order
Revolution Black Helicopters Freedom of