[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Thu Jun 13 21:17:15 CEST 2002

Y-ellow Don 'n' all.
         Without meaning to stray too far from the white line.

At 10:58 AM 6/13/02 -0700, Don Tillman wrote:

>I don't have any statistics on hand or anything, but I would guess
>that most musical instruments aren't recycled because they're reused
>and resold so many times.  Reused is significantly better than
>recycled because all the parts of the thing are employed best.  It's
>not like there are landfills clogged up with Les Pauls, Stratocasters
>and Steinways, y'know?  The piano I have at home is roughly 100 years
>old, has had several owners, and it's got a few more decades on it for
>sure.

Lucky bastard. :) I concur. This leads right back to the original point. It
is far better to reuse where possible. It's far better to consider this in
the first place. Both as a designer and as a marketer. And this is also
where economics rationalism breaks down entirely. Greenies say mystic
things like, "There is a cost that can't be measured." Like it's some
mysterious factor-x. The quantum level of economics or something. Maybe
this is true in a way but the closest thing I've ever seen to a currency
for this kind of thing is carbon emission rights. And while that's another
major good intention on the road to hell, it's really only a small part of
the accountability required to put market forces and economic rationalism
into perspective. And I can see that happening any day now. In fact I
remember someone on LateLine one night from the UK talking about how he and
his economics students in Germany somewhere had actually worked out how to
do this but it was largely just a student exercise. And besides, the guy
pointed out a lot of the crap in the greeny's arguments so he managed to
alienate himself from both sides. Bravo.

>Besides, if the supply of lumber was at risk then it's price would
>rise significantly.  Which hasn't happened last I checked.

Lumber? We're not talking about a lump of 4 x 2 you bought a Joes timber
yard and hamburger emporium. Hell there's plenty of that around. But you go
try making a great instrument out of it. The cost of acquiring wood that is
of the right quality (And I don't mean that it hasn't got any knot holes in
it) suitable for building instruments from (And I'm sure there must be
thousands of requirements across the board here.) is rapidly moving up
scale and beyond affordability.

Ya ever wondered why half the world's furniture is made out of pine
chip-board covered with a veneer? Coz forrests of cultivated pine trees can
grow to harvest in 30 - 40 years. More exotic timber could take thousands.
Let me reiterate. I AM NOT A GREENY. I'm sick of giving a rat's ass about
this stuff.   But you want some statistics. Try this one. About 70 percent
of Australia's natural vegetation no longer exists. The Europeans use to
call this place a big desert when they got here 200 odd years ago. You can
only imagine what it looks like now. And they're still clearing land as
fast as they can hook a chain to a bulldozer.

>I also heard an unsubstantiated statistic that automobiles, at least
>in the US, were the most reused and recycled product (by some
>measure).  This is because after they've been sold or passed on
>between a number of owners, and either racked up 200,000 miles or
>smashed in an accident, they have most of their parts sold off for
>repair work on other cars, and finally the raw materials are recycled.
>
>So I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be.

Let me just restate again. I'm not making anything out to be bad. Fact is,
I don't give a rat's ass. If I could do something I would but I learnt the
hard way that in this country, if you stick your neck out, some mongrel
with a lot more money and power is going kick your teeth in. All I'm doing
is calling 'em as I see 'em.

And bear in mind that the orignal point that started all of this was that
the Japanese culture does not condone the re-use of pianos and that Yamaha
activly discourage the resale of second hand black&whites on the
international market. So this begs the question. "What happens to them?"
Surely they don't all get turned into sofa beds or something?

And let us all kick back and reflect. As we listen to the hum of our
air-conditioning or our heaters, in our thoughtfully provided comfort zone
and raise a glass to the human race and all it's achievements. Or as that
great Scottish Philosopher, Alexander Harvey once said.

"Give my compliments to the chef."

NB: Some dick wad from the fossil fuel lobby actually said, in all honesty.
"I don't know why people are worried about global warming. We all have air
conditioners these days."

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|