[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Don Tillman don at till.com
Thu Jun 13 19:58:44 CEST 2002

   > Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:48:07 +0930
   > From: "Batz Goodfortune" <batzman at all-electric.com>
   >
   > If you didn't manage to read between the lines here. There are
   > things you can recycle by scrapping them but pianos and vintage
   > synths alike, aren't amongst them. Yamaha, or anyone else are
   > foolish if not criminal to take that attitude. Especially with
   > their pianos etc. If I were a greeny, which I'm not, I'd be
   > outraged and proclaim them not only environmental vandals but
   > artistic extortionists.

I don't have any statistics on hand or anything, but I would guess
that most musical instruments aren't recycled because they're reused
and resold so many times.  Reused is significantly better than
recycled because all the parts of the thing are employed best.  It's
not like there are landfills clogged up with Les Pauls, Stratocasters
and Steinways, y'know?  The piano I have at home is roughly 100 years
old, has had several owners, and it's got a few more decades on it for
sure.

Besides, if the supply of lumber was at risk then it's price would
rise significantly.  Which hasn't happened last I checked.

I also heard an unsubstantiated statistic that automobiles, at least
in the US, were the most reused and recycled product (by some
measure).  This is because after they've been sold or passed on
between a number of owners, and either racked up 200,000 miles or
smashed in an accident, they have most of their parts sold off for
repair work on other cars, and finally the raw materials are recycled.

So I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be.

----------------

I remember shop class in junior high school, age 13 or so.  One of the
kids was thrilled with the circular sander, the very notion that this
power tool could sand down a piece of wood so quickly and efficiently.
So he was just feeding this 1x4 into the sander, watching it get
gobbled up.

  "BRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTT"

The shop teacher comes up behind him waving a finger and says, "Hey
sonny, don't do that.  Lumber doesn't grow on trees you know."

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California, USA