[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Thu Jun 13 16:22:16 CEST 2002

Y-ellow all.

At 04:38 PM 6/12/02 -0400, Machinerygod wrote:
>Wednesday, June 12, 2002, 1:58:05 PM, you wrote:
>

>SR> Over here it is common practice to place jars filled with water
>SR> in pianos. It is recommended by every piano tuner/restorer.
>SR> It keeps piano wood from drying out.
>
>What's strange, considering that, is Yamaha microwaving their timber.
>That ought to dry it out..

Yeah I was kinda thinking that myself. Ironically here in Australia, they
pack them with silica gell packs or whatever they're called. To soak up the
moisture. I don't know anything about this organic technology but I know
that curing wood for instrument building isn't as straightforward as that.
Yamaha use the microwaves to accelerate that process and it allows them to
be less selective about the raw materials. Otherwise we could all be
waiting round for another couple of hundred years at least for their next
shipment of pianos.

First they'd have to grow the g'damn trees.

And something else I should probably cover here. Other piano fabricators
like Steinway etc, can still get much of the timber they need to make their
hand crafted pianos by pretty much the traditional means. But this explains
the fabulous expenditure you have to make to own one. Yamaha, and other,
have the problem that they are volume suppliers. Even if they bought up all
the remaining resources in the world it wouldn't be enough to feed their
insatiable market. And so all these industrious solutions are needed.

For all I know, Yamaha's pianos may be vastly, technically superior to the
traditional ones. Though few are probably going to admit that even if
that's true. There's nothing in the manual that says the traditional ways
are the best. The traditional ways are only traditional because that was
the technology of the time. We don't make stone axes any more. The metal
ones may not have that earthy quality but they get the job done a hell of a
lot more efficiently.

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|