[sdiy] super cheap synthisizers

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Thu Jun 13 16:05:38 CEST 2002

Y-ellow Linium 'n' all.

At 10:09 PM 6/12/02 +0200, Linium wrote:
>Via has just released an on-a-board PC featuring a C3 800 mhz, graphics,
>sound (+ spdif i/o), ethernet, serial, usb, etc.
>It costs 150$ (i believe) and is pretty little.
>There is one port PCI, 2 ide, (no disc).
>Well isn't it nice to make all sort of synth ?

Bloody hell. Isn't that cute! All you need is a nice realtime embedded OS.
Say, isn't there a linux project for that?

But then I heard that characteristic sound of a record scratching. "AC'97"

It's still a very cute but AC97 -or as they put it, "Consumer mode S/PDIF -
is stuck at 48K sample rate. This is what you need if you wanna do AC3 but
I suspect you'll need a sample rate converter at some point.

AC'97s aren't known for their quality either but there are some half
reasonable implimentations. You just have to hope this is one of them. But
this is very cute. Needless to say at around 300 bux AU I won't be getting
one any time soon but let me know when you're ready to upgrade. I might
give you 50 bux for it. :)

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|