[OT] Re[2]: [sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Rude 66 r.lekx at chello.nl
Thu Jun 13 12:54:34 CEST 2002

> Yes, I think the shopkeepers saw this as an "opportunity" to raise prices
> in the chaotic period just after the big change.  No doubt all in the best
> interests of the consumer :)

yep. the bastards. but they're finding out know consumers are realizing
this, and that thay are either buying less or buying cheaper things. the
more upmarket grocery stores have done it too, so now more people shop at
discount stores. in the end they only hurt themselves doing this.
the good part is now you can compare prices directly. and since the euro is
almost 1:1 to the dollar now, you can even compare eu-us prices.

> There was a student here who discovered that one particular chain of
> stores (Debenhams for the locals) had different exchange rates for card
> purchases and cash purchases.  *Zoinks* ... what he found was a value
> differential, which he used to make a profit...buy an item at the lower
> exhange rate at one store, drive over to another store and get a refund at
> the higher rate, with an associated profit due to this differential.  Did
> he tell them?  Yes.  Did they believe him and correct their till software?
> No.  Did me make a nice little profit?  Yes :)

good story!

r./