[sdiy] Panels: early results

Neil Johnson nej22 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 13 11:21:30 CEST 2002

> > Jim's out there on his own :)
>
> Seems like I am always on my own ;^).....

Think of it as "trail-blazing"!

A friend of mine is into old electrical gear.  He has large slate
electrical panels from a powerstation in his garage, covered in knife
switches, busbars, and the like.  Also has a rather nice rotary converter
(AC motor, DC generator)... the first time he ran it, after starting it up
(did I say it was big?) his girlfriend came out of the house to see why
the picture on the TV had shrunk to the size of a matchbox...such was the
drain on the house supply!!  Yes it was a valve TV, which still worked
even though the mains voltage had dropped, but with reduced deflection.
Try that with yer modern chipped-to-the-hilt TV.  Ha!

So ... anyone up for polished slate panels and knobs the size of Texas?

Neil

--
Neil Johnson :: Computer Laboratory :: University of Cambridge ::
http://www.njohnson.co.uk          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~nej22