[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Merv Thomas mervynt at mezzie.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 01:25:08 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Clark <clark at andrews.edu>
To: Synth-DIY <synth-diy at dropmix.xs4all.nl>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: [sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

>    I know this is starting to get way off topic, but I do have some
> things to add here...
>    In Japan, there are severe restrictions on automobiles.  For those
> that can actually afford one and can afford to _keep_ it, after a certain
> number of years, the owner has the option to have it scrapped, or pay a
> massive fee to keep it (re-register it or some such thing).

Another option, becoming more prevalent now is to export it to Europe. Their
high end cars, like the Mitsubishi Evo3 and Subaru Impreza are coming into
the UK at well below local market prices - paid just over half the going
rate for my 'grey' Impreza. Getting your local dealer within a hundred feet
of it ain't so easy though. Their excuse, as Neil mentioned with Honda is
that the car ain't 'up to European standards'. Total bollocks!

</rantMode off>

Happy trails...

Merv.