[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

Rude 66 r.lekx at chello.nl
Thu Jun 13 00:08:44 CEST 2002

> Of course, that's the main reason for the price differences --- but the
> average Joe only compares the prices on the label.  In the UK we have
> Value Added Tax (VAT) which in general is already included in the price
> tag in shops, unlike Holland or the US and Canada, for example, which are
> the opposite:  the price tag _excludes_ tax, which is then added at the
> till.  Always seems a bit bizarre to me, being used to VAT already
> included.

not quite. at least in holland the normal prices include 19% vat. only in
some wholessale discount stores prices are ex vat. we have a lot of
additional taxes on things like cars that make them so expensive.. vat is
only a small part.

> Its one of those things that gets in the way of practical pan-European
> currency.  It always amuses me when I see the average Joe in the street
> being interviewed, and they think that when the unit of currency is the
> same, they'll be able to make a "fair" comparison.  But as stated, they'll
> also need to include the various local taxes, and the difference in the
> cost of living, inflation, interest rates, and so on, to the point where
> it is practically a pointless exercise!  Its a bit pointless to say that a
> Dutch sausage is cheaper than an Irish sausage just by comparing the
> number on the price tag.

very true. i'm always amazing myself comparing holland to the US, where i go
regularly.. in general here in holland necessities (rent, food, health
insurance) are cheaper, while luxuries (electronics, cars, synths, etc) are
more expensive.

> About the only advantage is simplifying foreign currency exchange --- I'm
> flying to Berlin on Sunday for a conference (PLDI'02) but whereas before
> I'd be buying D-Marks, I'll now buy some Euros.  As far as my "consumer
> experience" is concerned, the only difference will be the physical
> manifestation of the foreign currency in my hand.
>
> Ah well, plus c'est change, plus c'est la meme chose....(add your own
> accents)

it's still monopoly money to me..;-)

arent we getting a bit OT here? heh heh..

r./