[sdiy] Getting over eBay (rant)

andy mcphive at corrupt.net
Wed Jun 12 17:58:23 CEST 2002

	I live near a college, and at this time each year (June, around
graduation/summertime) a ton of people move out, and leave scads of nice
things either scattered around dumpsters at apartment complexes, or in the
dumpsters. Apparently, when you're fueled by mom and dad's pocketbook, it
doesn't matter to you if you throw out furniture, appliances, etc...
personally I've recovered some small pieces of furniture and a nice fan,
but if I had a larger place it'd be furnished solely from the very nice
almost-new stuff i found discarded.

	Personally, if I have things I'm not using- in one case, several
dead Mac SE-30s- i set them outside near the dumpster at my place where
people can grab them if they're interested. The trash is only picked up
once a week, and usually someone gets interested enough to take what I
leave.

	Speaking of which, I still have a Mac SE, and a Mac IIci, and I
used to use 'em for MIDI... does anyone use these/want these/know if they
are worth anything?

	andy