[sdiy] super cheap synthisizers

The Old Crow oldcrow at oldcrows.net
Tue Jun 11 16:45:06 CEST 2002

  For experimentation, use a PIC16F628 -- my favorite part these days.
Good for 5 MIPS.  Three timers, PWM module, A/D, USART, etc.  Essentially
an updated version of the venerable PIC16C72.  If you go to the
18F-series, you'll get even higher MIPS rates.

http://www.microchip.com/download/lit/pline/picmicro/families/16c62x/40300b.pdf

  For the ultimate, use a Scenix (now called Ubicom) SX28AC.  50 or 75
MIPS.  These use essentially the same 12-bit risc core that a 12-bit PIC
does, so code is nearly transparent in porting over from a 12-bit PIC.

http://www.ubicom.com/pdf_files/processors/SX-DDS-SX2028AC-16.pdf

  Another nifty part I have been tinkering with lately is the Cypress
'PSoC' uC.  It has a chunk of gate arrays that can be programmed as
whatever peripherals you want, e.g., 'Programmable System on Chip'.

http://www.cypressmicro.com/

Crow
/**/