[sdiy] Re: Re: [OT] super cheap synthesisers

trevor at resonance.fsnet.co.uk trevor at resonance.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 12:09:32 CEST 2002

Hi Theo,

Have you considered the 16F628? If not then it might be worth looking at the specs. The 16F628 is actually rather cheap (making one uC per card quite feasible), is an 18 pin package, has three hardware timers and a USART, etc. It is recommended for new designs and is actually much cheaper than the old 16F84, which is much lower spec. It probably hasn't got all the timers you call for in hardware, but using what it has to implement some software timers would be easy.

True, there are (often better) alternatives to PICs - I'd probably consider the SX or Xilinx route as opposed to having one uC per card.

Regards

Trevor.