[sdiy] Has anybody done a diy IR MIDI link ?

cyborgzero at comcast.net cyborgzero at comcast.net
Fri Jun 7 15:57:30 CEST 2002

You will need to decode the IR, since IR works off of 1 low+ 2 high =
on and 1 low + 1 high = off. IIRC this is called FSK. Send that into
your reciever, then decode it with a micro with a built-in UART, like
a pic16f87 or something.

Then, you really don't care about the rate between the IR and MIDI..
Heck, send the IR as fast as possible and parse it out the midi port
at standard clock.

It *might* be easier to use a bluetooth interface, and then you don't
need line-of-sight. Only thing is there is *significant* interference
issues coming up these days with all the cellphones, space phones,
wireless PC networks, etc..

Rob