[sdiy] Has anybody done a diy IR MIDI link ?

Sowa Roman Roman.Sowa at upc.com.pl
Fri Jun 7 07:34:58 CEST 2002

IRDA works on narrow pulses instead of whole bits.
Probably to save power, and send only short high power
blinks. Converter chip splits each bit comming from UART
into 16 slots and drives LED only during one of them
(or 3, can't remember). IRDA receiver takes those short
pulses and makes nice UART-friendly bitstream back again.

I guess those short pulses are also better in terms of
interference with other IR sources as it spreads the
spectrum of IRDA signal.

Roman