[sdiy] Has anybody done a diy IR MIDI link ?

Neil Johnson nej22 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 7 01:08:01 CEST 2002

> The subject says it all but to clairify; I want to build a IR wireless
> link from one MIDI device to another. Has it been done ?

No doubt.

> Is the typical IR stuff available (Sony eye etc.) even fast enough ?

Indeed yes...MIDI runs at a comparatively pedestrian 31,250 baud, while
IrDA runs at much higher rates (some Mbit/s ???).

For short-range, you could easily implement the transmitter with an LED
and 220R resistor.  The receiver might be a tad tricker.  It really
depends over what range you want the link to work.  For example, IrDA is
designed to work over very short ranges (less than 1 metre, typical
desk-top environment), but for longer ranges you use tricks like IR
lenses, amplifiers, filters, etc, to increase the sensitivity of the
receiver without getting drowned out with thermal noise.

What do you plan to do about data errors??  MIDI doesn't have much in the
way of a "protocol" :-)

Neil

--
Neil Johnson :: Computer Laboratory :: University of Cambridge ::
http://www.njohnson.co.uk          http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~nej22