[sdiy] ESR meter review

epeasant at telusplanet.net epeasant at telusplanet.net
Thu Jun 6 05:59:10 CEST 2002

Yesterday morning I received the Dick Smith K7204 ESR kit
that I had ordered. As I had promised to report to the
list, here is what I have found:

I ordered the kit from Main Electronics in Vancouver
(www.mainelectronics.com/)(Thanks, Mike!). John's Jukes
(www.flippers.com/esrktmtr.html) in the same city also
sells it, but for a few dollars more. The kit is also
available from Australia (www.dse.com.au), but I am not
aware if there are any U.S. or European distributers. The
person I spoke to at Main was courteous and helpful, the
costs were reasonable, the item well packed, and it was
shipped quickly.

While the instructions were not quite "Heathkit Quality"
(my gold standard for kits), all the necessary information
was present in a reasonably clear and logical form. There
was a basic kit building guide included as well for the
beginner. More construction information and hints are
available on the various net sites for this meter as well.

Parts were of an acceptable quality, and there was nothing
missing.  Everything fit together as it should, and it
functioned perfectly the first time. Calibration was quick
and easy with the supplied resistors. The only area of
concern for me pertained to mounting the 9 volt battery.
The instructions were a bit vague here, so I ended up
lining the bottom of the case with 1/4 inch foam rubber and
then cut out a section for the battery to fit into. Total
building time was about 5 hours, this is what an
experienced builder should expect to take if they go slowly
and carefully.(I like to take my time and enjoy building
something like this)

I have not had much time to use this meter yet, but have
been impressed so far.   Comparing different capacitors has
been interesting, although the inexpensive test leads
supplied with the unit sometimes have trouble making a good
contact, better tips would help. As well as measuring ESR,
the unit also functions as a low resistance ohmmeter, and
so can be used for tracing shorts on circuit boards, and
can even check nicad batteries for high internal
resistance. If one wanted to upgrade the unit, there are
various modifications available on the net for an audible
indicator, input protection, power saving, and others.(See
www.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar) Some of the hardware can be
upgraded as well. Since this unit functions in the range
of .01 ohms, poor test lead connections can cause problems.
Installing top quality connectors and using better leads is
an easy upgrade.

Overall I am quite happy with the unit, and I feel it is
good value for the money. If you have ever built anything
electronic before, you should have little problem putting
together this kit. A valuable addition to the workbench, I
highly recommend this meter.

***Disclaimer*** I have no connection with the
manufacturer's or distributer's of this product, I just
bought one because it looked like the best deal out there
for an ESR meter.

Take care,
Doug

The Electronic Peasant