[sdiy] Re: [AH] Vacuum Tube Motherboard

Jay Schwichtenberg jays at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 5 17:06:15 CEST 2002

Eric,

As someone who has dealt with audio in the PC I wonder how this works from a
noise standpoint. One of the hardest parts of building a PC or designing a
card for one (especially audio stuff) is the EMI and noise inside. You look
at the FCC/CE EMI scans and there is a lot of high frequency energy running
around. Most of it is above 50 to 100 mHz and you can pick out the various
clocks and their harmonics. Anyway. Tubes have a lot of open surface area on
the plates which stand up parallel to the cards in the box. It seems that
these would act as big antennas and just suck up and high freq stuff. Is the
fact that the frequencies are so high that they don't affect the audio?
Another thing could be that they are so high they are beyond the frequency
response of the tube.

Jay

PS: I've always enjoyed your Glass Audio articles.