[sdiy] PCB designing software

Daniel Kruszyna krus3669 at kettering.edu
Wed Jun 5 03:06:57 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:11:27AM -0700, oleavitt at ix.netcom.com wrote:
> For Linux and other *nix OS's, there's a program called 'Electric'. Has anybody used that? If so, how do you like it?
> I intend to use that when I get my Linux box up and running, one of these days...

Electric looks to be more geared toward VLSI design.  The schematic capture
and pcb layout parts aren't as mature (or perhaps they aren't as straightforward
to use.)  Right now I'm using gschem (of the gEDA suite) for schematic capture
and PCB for, oddly enough, laying out pcbs.

gschem and the rest of the gEDA tools can be found at http://geda.seul.org

PCB's home page is http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/

It should be noted that PCB is a manual routing program.  You have to create the
schematic in gschem, export a netlist, and then place parts and import the
netlist in PCB.  Not as fancy as the commercial programs out there, but not
as complicated either.

-- Daniel