Macintosh PCB Software FREE Re: [sdiy] Schematic to PCBproblems

Grant Richter grichter at asapnet.net
Tue Jun 4 18:49:39 CEST 2002

> The other problem is it can be hard for a newbie to spot when an autorouter
> is hosing them. They will occasionally route stupid things like zig-zags or
> spirals
> that no human being would conceive or tolerate. For digital it might be OK...
> fo
> analog it will be crosstalk, distortion, oscillation, rf pickup, etc.

Or like routing a trace around the entire outside edge of the board (24"
long) in order to connect two pins 0.100" in apart. Because the autorouter
blocked all routes between the two pins by running vertical traces first.
The the 24" long trace was added in the final "Hail Mary" pass.

Even an experienced analog board layout person will have to redo a board
layout sometimes in order to correct a coupling or crosstalk problem.

I am not aware of any autorouter smart enough to do analog audio. This is
one of the reason digital technology became so fashionable. From a hardware
standpoint, it is MUCH easier to do than analog.