Macintosh PCB Software FREE Re: [sdiy] Schematic to PCBproblems

Theo t.hogers at home.nl
Tue Jun 4 06:52:48 CEST 2002

Ok Harry here you go ;^)

Auto routing can save you lots a time and can make great dual sided PCBs.
BUT the process is not as automatic as the name suggest.
Fist off you _have_ to do the power structure by hand.
After that the autorouter can help you with routing selected nets between
selected components.

Most obvious place to start using the autorouter is for data and address
busses.
Don't over do it, 2 or 3 ICs at the time is the way to go.
When you got the feel for it, you can start using it on strategic parts of
analogue circuits.
Usually  I end up shoving the traces the autorouter did,
often you can reduce a via or 2 (make that 10) and make place for
"unroutable" traces.

<liar mode>
Harry I just accessed you HD to check your layout program and saw you're
using Electronic workbench/Ultiboard.
(No I didn't access your HD, I just keep track ALL the programs ALL the list
members use)
</liar mode> ;^P

The auto router provided with EWB is quite usable.
For analogue stuff try to let it route limited area (square inch) of the
PCB,
chances are you will have to fix up a thing or two,
but still will be done quicker that doing it all by hand.

Theo (using autorouters since 1987)

From: harry <harrybissell at prodigy.net>

> Arrrh now you went and said the dirty word....
>
> AUTOROUTING !!!
>
> Most programs do not excel at autorouting, even very expensive ones.
> If you are doing an all-digital design you might get away with it. For
most
> analog work, designs are done largely by hand (human brain).
>
> Autorouters need a lot of knowledge and experience to set up, you usually
> have to specify the routing of critical components. They usually NEVER
result
> in a single sided board... SELDOM result in a Double Sided board... so
usually
> you will end up with a four layer ($$$) board, at least.
>
> The other problem is it can be hard for a newbie to spot when an
autorouter
> is hosing them. They will occasionally route stupid things like zig-zags
or
> spirals
> that no human being would conceive or tolerate. For digital it might be
OK...
> fo
> analog it will be crosstalk, distortion, oscillation, rf pickup, etc.
>
> There are  lots of people on this list who could probably help you get
started
> in manual routing.  Start with some really simple project to get the idea.
Then