Macintosh PCB Software FREE Re: [sdiy] Schematic to PCBproblems

harry harrybissell at prodigy.net
Tue Jun 4 04:39:31 CEST 2002

Arrrh now you went and said the dirty word....

AUTOROUTING !!!

Most programs do not excel at autorouting, even very expensive ones.
If you are doing an all-digital design you might get away with it. For most
analog work, designs are done largely by hand (human brain).

Autorouters need a lot of knowledge and experience to set up, you usually
have to specify the routing of critical components. They usually NEVER result
in a single sided board... SELDOM result in a Double Sided board... so usually
you will end up with a four layer ($$$) board, at least.

The other problem is it can be hard for a newbie to spot when an autorouter
is hosing them. They will occasionally route stupid things like zig-zags or
spirals
that no human being would conceive or tolerate. For digital it might be OK...
fo
analog it will be crosstalk, distortion, oscillation, rf pickup, etc.

There are  lots of people on this list who could probably help you get started
in manual routing.  Start with some really simple project to get the idea. Then
if
you want to get an autorouter you'll be better equipped to deal with it. I can
give you some tips if you like (offlist) or if there are other beginners we
could do a bit
of an onlist class.  It would probably benefit a lot of folks out there...

(and the xperts can have fun flaming me and saying what an @ss I am and how
they would do it different / better... but what the hell ????)

H^) harry    (self proclaimed xpert)

--
Jihad Terrorism Conspiracy New World Order
Revolution Black Helicopters Freedom of