[sdiy] Schematic to PCB problems

Jay Schwichtenberg jays at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 4 00:15:21 CEST 2002

All the shops I've used for work use PADs but that's another $5K-10K
package.

Don't even consider Edwin. The version I bought was hard to use and crashed
before I could get anything done with it.

I've been using the free version of Eagle CAD. It's one of the easiest to
use I've found. I'd spend $400 on the standard schematic and PCB parts could
do 30 sq inches specifing the dimensions. If my calcs are right it's good
for 4" (100mm) x 6.4" (160mm) or 25.6 sq inches. It seems most board houses
have cheap prototype runs for 5" X 6" or 30 sq inches.

The software from expressPCB is real straight forward and simple (no
schematic capture). I've been getting ready to have some of their cheap 2.5"
X 3.8" boards done.

One word of advice if you're going to have someone else actually make your
boards. Get all the info you can from them about trace width, etch spacing,
hole size, and types of files needed before you start laying out your board.
Most prototype services have a limited number of tools they'll let you use.
It's a real pain to do a layout and use the wrong hole size and have to
change things latter.

If you are going to make boards yourself you can use about any CAD package
that supports symbol libraries. There are a couple of issues with that.
Scalling the printing to be an acurate 1:1 ratio is one. The other is
getting a print opaque enough for the photo process.

Jay