[sdiy] PCB designing software

The Proteus proteus at ugwarehouse.org
Mon Jun 3 19:19:38 CEST 2002

Well, there are plenty of better packages out there, but prepare to
mortgage your house to buy them.

	Hands down, the best package I've used is Cadence's Allegro, but
this is around $10,000-$100,000US per seat. More 'economical' options on
the high-scale PCB design apps is Innoveda's PowerPCB, the OrCAD bundle
Cadence just came out with, and Electronics Workbench has a pretty solid
package as well.  These usually sell for between $5K and $10K. Oh, I
almost forgot... the staple of design in the 80's was P-CAD, now owned by
Altium (the same guys that own Protel). Don't get it wrong... it's totally
in the zone as well. Most of these packages include gridless routing,
on-line DRC, and tons of other features you won't use until you're exposed
to them.

Regards,

Prot

- - - T h e  U n d e r g r o u n d  W a r e h o u s e - - -
- - - Subversive - Tools - For - A - Chaotic - Planet - - -
-  h t t p : / / w w w . u g w a r e h o u s e . o r g /  -
--<T h e  P r o t e u s>-<Musician>-<Producer>-<Engineer>--