[sdiy] VC variable bit-rate audio digitizer? help!

Jay Schwichtenberg jays at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 18 16:41:33 CEST 2002

By using an audio CODEC (less than $5) and a PIC (or any other high speed
uC) you could do this easily. With a PIC or uC there would be a lot of
software work involved. A low end DSP could handle this too. One with a I2S
interface (standard audio ADC/DAC interface) would make the job easy.

There are a few issues.

First the PCB would have to be done and done right. Mixing analog and
digital stuff on a board and getting high quality audio out can be a pain.

Next use multi bit audio converters. They are more tolerant to clock jitter
and IMHO sound better (ie more transparent).

Get the converter clocking as tight as you can get it. Converters are pretty
sensitive to clocking/timing deviations.

Jay