[sdiy] Keyboard Lag

Don Tillman don at till.com
Sat Aug 31 23:35:47 CEST 2002

Check out the archives for the "MIDI is unmusical" discussion I sortof
started.

I claim there's a roughly two order of magnitude range in what people
find acceptable, and you can choose where you want to be in that
range:

  10 mS: Toy.

   1 mS: Midi limit.  Useful, but not capable of dealing with subtle
         nuances of timing.

 100 nS: This is the timing necessary to be able to recognize who is
         actually playing the keyboard, or the quirks of the keyboard
         itself.

For simplicity I'm wrapping up latency, quantization and other timing
eccentricities together into one number.

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California, USA