[sdiy] Companders

Craig Critchley craigc at nwlink.com
Tue Aug 27 07:17:57 CEST 2002

That Corp. has the THAT4301 analog processor, which contains an RMS
detector, an exponential VCA and three opamps (one is dedicated as a
current-to-voltage converter for the VCA).  The primary purpose for it is
audio compressors. Its several building blocks on a chip, rather than a
purpose-dedicated device, so it might be more flexible.

Unfortunately That only sells multiples of 20 (one tube), and they aren't
distributed through any of the normal online distributors that I'm aware of.
They are also more expensive, in that quantity, that the SA571 price you
found, but it is designed for audio rather than telecoms, so it may have
better specs.

Another possibility is Analog Devices's SSM2165 and SSM2166, which are
microphone preamps that include compressor circuits.  I think those can only
be used as compressors, though, and I don't think they're cheaper.

                ...Craig