[sdiy] Linear FM concept again

Grant Richter grichter at asapnet.net
Sun Aug 25 19:46:34 CEST 2002

Some physiological studies suggest that linear FM produces a more "natural"
sounding vibrato. The vocal cord pitch is changed in an exponential manner
to match the response of the ear. But the vocal cords themselves are a
linear oscillator, and therefore "natural" vibrato is linear not expo.

The information is buried somewhere in Electronotes.

For small frequency deviation such as vibrato, the difference is very
subtle, but to my ear, linear vibrato is slightly "sweeter" sounding.