[sdiy] Linear FM/Noise modulation demo

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Sat Aug 24 16:18:17 CEST 2002

Ok, Paul, very frig'n nice.  Just what I'm after.  Cool timbre changes, I
take it ala FM.  Nice piece.

"Paul Schreiber" <synth1 at airmail.net> wrote:
>Here is an audio demo of both audio frequency linear FM and VCOs expo FM'd with noise:
>
>www.synthtech.com/news.html
>
>scroll down a bit, look for the Robert Rich live demo (it's long, like 6MB).
>
>At the very beginning of the piece (first 30 sec) you will hear a
>high, "whispy" unpitched sound. This is a MOTM-300 VCO FM's by an
>enveloped burst of attenuated white noise (from MOTM-101). The is
>also some audio frequency PWM (not much, just enoug to give the
>sound a slight 'slurring' effect). Linear FM makes *wonderful*
>marimba/xylophone timbres. There is a looping 16-note sequence
>down in the mix of a marimba pattern. You can hear is around the
>1:10 to 1:10 and the 1:20 to 1:29 marks. About 1/2 way through,
>the 'lead' voice switches from Korg Wavestation to a patch using
>pink noise into the linear FM, and fed through a pair of MOTM-410
>Triple Resonant filters. The center frequencies are 'jittered' by
>white noise passing through a MOTM-820 VC Lag processor. This
>acts as a sort of LPF, that in turn "smears" the 6 BP filters
>about their fixed center points. This particular live performance
>is a great overall example of using the 2 techniques mentioned.

- What good are laws that only lawyers understand?
- Government: The other religion.
- The media's credibility should always be questioned.
- Lambs who lie down with lions are lunch.

-- Scott Gravenhorst | LegoManiac / Lego Trains / RIS 1.5
-- Linux Rex         | RedWebMail by RedStarWare
-- FatMan: home1.GTE.NET/res0658s/FatMan/
-- NonFatMan: home1.GTE.NET/res0658s/electronics/