[sdiy] Linear FM concept again

John L Marshall john.l.marshall at gte.net
Sun Aug 25 00:10:09 CEST 2002

Scott,

Exponential FM the perceived frequency goes up because we hear the average
of the frequencies. For example: a carrier of 400 Hz modulated by 1 Volt
will produce a swing from 200 Hz to 800 Hz. The average frequency will be
500 Hz, not the original 400 Hz.

Linear FM takes care of the problem. For example: a carrier of 400 Hz
modulated by some voltage (Hmmm, Volts/Hertz) can produce a swing from 200
Hz to 600 Hz. The average frequency will be 400 Hz, still.

Take care,
John
Pacific Northwest DIY Synthesizer meeting, July 20, 2002
See: www.sound-photo.com