[sdiy] panning/crossfading curves

mark verbos a0284520 at addcom.de
Sat Aug 24 18:29:27 CEST 2002

Am I right in assuming that a perfectly linear crossfade with sound
quite in the middle? A sort of dead band...

When Buchla did a voltage controlled pan he used a dual Vactrol on both
sides with a resistor to ground on the center tap. A little math and
graphing on a piece of scrap paper tells me that the resistamce curve is
antilog. So this will make the center position appear to be just as loud
as either side?

He did the manual pans with a single pot, so this could not have been a
really big issue. Is that what the Serge Equal Power stuff is all about?

rock on.

mark