[sdiy] new CD / copyright for cover art

Don Tillman don at till.com
Fri Aug 23 09:56:04 CEST 2002

   > Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:31:27 -0400
   > From: "Steve Begin" <Steve.Begin at pwgsc.gc.ca>
   >
   > Anyways, I came across some great patents, some have real
   > negative consequences, some are just ridiculous, of the former,
   > amazon apparently has a patent on 1-click shopping, and has
   > forced their competitors to add extra pointless steps to their
   > online sales system.

BountyQuest pretty much invalidated that patent with a ton of prior
art (my favorite being an old Doonsbury comic!).  (And of course if a
popular comic strip can serve as prior art, it strongly suggests there
are some fundmental problems with the US patent office.)

BountyQuest is an online service that offers a $10,000.00 reward for
identifying prior art for certain contested patents.  Check'm out:
  http://www.bountyquest.com

My favorite ridiculously stupid patent is:
  US 6,368,227 "Method of swinging on a swing"

   > I can't link to the patent info since it's on delphion.com and
   > requires registration to view. (and they charge you if you want
   > to see the whole thing...grr)

Ehhh, screw Delphion!  The USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office) now
has online scans of most patents over the last 30 years.  The only
hitch is that they're in tiff format and you might need a plugin to
view them.  Macintosh folks can use QuickTime, but you have to set it
up in your browser.

  http://www.uspto.gov

  -- Don

--