[sdiy] new CD / copyright for cover art

Steve Begin Steve.Begin at pwgsc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 22 21:31:27 CEST 2002

I somehow came across some pretty odd patents today accidentally when i was searching for info relating to taxing on things i order used from the states off ebay (if anybody knows if this is a mistake or why i end up paying tax on some things, I'd love to hear from you, sorry for the OT^2)

Anyways, I came across some great patents, some have real negative consequences, some are just ridiculous, of the former, amazon apparently has a patent on 1-click shopping, and has forced their competitors to add extra pointless steps to their online sales system.

Of the latter, there are patents on:
US5443036 Using a laser pointer to exercise a cat
US5649862 Having an enemy in a video game with the ability to attack while the player is in the process of inputting a command
US5965809 Determining bra size by direct measurement of the breast
US5993336 Wearing a knee-pad and executing a tennis stroke while the covered knee is on the tennis court surface, or just prior to the knee contacting the tennis court surface.

Those are all summaries, but i think they are pretty much accurate.
I can't link to the patent info since it's on delphion.com and requires registration to view. (and they charge you if you want to see the whole thing...grr)