Partminer (was Re: [sdiy] More Damn chip IDs.)

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Wed Aug 21 17:39:23 CEST 2002

Y-ellow Rainer 'n' all.

At 04:28 PM 8/21/02 +0200, Rainer Buchty wrote:
> > Maybe we should just think of setting up an alternative by scanning in our
> > old data books and publishing them on the web for free...
>
>We really should.

Yeah I'd been thinking about it since you mentioned it.
<www.fuckpartminer.com> ??

I'd offer my web site but besides the technical limitations, I'd run out of
space real quick. Let me chew that one over for a few days and I might be
able to at least get the ball rolling with FTP.

I suggest this strategy though. Rather than trying to scan and PDF
everything in bulk, it would be more frugal to scan upon request or as the
need arises. Scan the stuff we each use the most as we use it and each new
thing we use (Even if it's old) as it crops up. Finally do requests (if
you've got 'em) and cool stuff as you think might be of interest. That way
no-one is bogged down in the process.

But! Managing such an effort is another matter entirely. Just sorting
incoming data might be a pain and somewhat time consuming. I think that
would have to be a combined effort.

Lastly: Because of the nature of the thing, it would be pretty much a
closed shop. Just the people here having access and definitely only on
approval. If I do it, that's the only way I can make it happen for now. And
it'll be a bit flakey for a while until I can get yet another boxen set up.
(And some routers) I gotta push the numbers on this. The problem is that
outgoing data is free but I pay for incoming. That could be a problem if
there were large amounts of data sheets coming in. I have no problem
donating some of my 3gig/month bandwidth to the cause but if I hit the
wall, it's definitely going to hurt in the wallet department.

But the irony is that I already have such a database setup and on-line and
mostly accessible 24/7. It's just not public oriented and I don't know how
public I'm prepared to go. I certainly don't want "Outsiders" messing with it.

So. If anyone has any other thoughts on this, I'm all for it. As long as
I'm not the only one.

Hope this helps.

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    BS    -----> http://all-electric.com