[sdiy] tapehead stuff

patchell patchell at silcom.com
Wed Aug 21 07:00:06 CEST 2002

    If you can find one, the old GE transistor manual has circuits in it for the
recording circuits.  I can't remember exactly which year, but, I think it was
the 1964 vintage one.  I might be off by a year or so.  I would kill to have one
of those manual again.  Never did figure out what happened to mine.  It
disapeared about 30 years ago (sob!).  That data book had what I thought to be
some really cool circuits.  It may be that time has made them seem more cool
than they really were.  Anyway, I did build the tape circuits in that book
(around 1969) and interfaced them to an old Viking Tape transport that was given
to me.

Arun Bohm wrote:

> Hi all,
>    What are the signal levels needed for recording heads for tape? Just want
> to see if I can put some old junked heads I found to any use. I will
> probably just take some readings from working heads but I was just throwing
> it out to see if anyone had any knowledge or helpful schematics they might
> want to lend out. Thanks for letting me be a part of the crew.
> Laters fellow DIYers,
> arun_bohm at hotmail.com

 -Jim
* Visit:http://www.silcom.com/~patchell/
*I'm sure glad Merry Christmas comes just once a year
* -Yogi Yorgensen