[sdiy] dirty/clean ground again

Batz Goodfortune batzman at all-electric.com
Sun Aug 18 06:40:22 CEST 2002

Y-ellow Harry 'n' all.
         I still couldn't be bothered reefing through the NSC audio
handbook right now to check my lack of memory against what they actually
wrote compared to what I think they wrote. You know how it is. The flesh is
willing by the mind is weak.

But what you wrote makes for a very compelling argument. In fact when I
first started the practice of springy decoupling in audio circuses, it use
to be a 100 ohm resistor then a cap to ground for each supply pin. After
reading whatever it was I read in the NSC handbook I thought. "What the
hell? It's more convenient anyway." I have not had a problem with this
approach but I agree with your reasoning. I'll probably go back to that
approach in future and you can consider me spanked.

However, I suspect that because of the afore mentioned 100 ohm resistors,
this simply kills rail spikes dead and I've never had a problem for this
reason alone. I did once have a problem with a multiplexed LED display
system. But multiplexing LEDS 10 at a time creates some horrific spikes. I
ended up having to lift the entire module through some pretty beefy
resistors to kick it's ass. The same basic principal as above but on a very
power hungry scale.

Nice analogy though Harry. I'll always remember that thing about hot and
cold running women. Err that is what you said wasn't it? "I'm sorry your
honor my memory of these events is a bit vague."

Be absolutely Icebox.

|_,__/ \__,_|\__|/ /    Bullshit --> http://all-electric.com
Goodfortune    |_____|