[sdiy] power help(spark and smoke)

Josh Randall jorandal at vt.edu
Sat Aug 17 15:26:48 CEST 2002

Hi,

I'm back to working on my ASM-1 and am having power problems.  I've been
troubleshooting the circuit for a while now but last night it happened...

I have a three prong chord.  One of the wires is conected to my DPDT
switch.  The otherone goes into a 1A fuse and then into the other side of
the DPDT switch.  Two wires then go from the switch to the power supply.
The whole thing is in a cardboard box right now so the 3rd wire from the
chord is not used.  Last night I was troubleshooting the circuit but after
turning it off and then back on I got a spark over near the fuse and smoke
started coming up out of it.  I checked to make sure that there were no
wires touching anything they shouldn't be touching but when I pluged it up
agin there was another spark.  The fuse dosn't even look like it was
blown.(There is not much resistance through it.   Being new to this, I was
afaid to mess with it much after that.

What could be wrong with my hookup?  Could it be a bad fuse holder or have
I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerlly,

Josh