[sdiy] Bypass caps: Tantalum or Ceramic?

Ken Stone sasami at hotkey.net.au
Sat Aug 17 09:32:14 CEST 2002

One Databook I have here says to use a single Tant per PCB, with 0.1 close
to each chip on the PCB. I use Tants myself even though they have the
occasional problems.

For the record, I have only found a single shorted one in commercial
equipment in my life. I have however had a pair of them go off like blow
torches in a DIY project, though both of these were old ones I salvaged
(>20years), and due to poor markings, *may* have been put in backwards. They
survived several hours then whoosh - blowtorch effect, and dead short across
the power rails. (they blew about 2 days apart).

Ken Stone   sasami at hotkey.net.au
Modular Synth PCBs for sale <http://www.blaze.net.au/~sasami/synth/>
Australian Miniature Horses & Ponies <http://www.blaze.net.au/~sasami/>