[sdiy] Bypass caps: Tantalum or Ceramic?

phillip m gallo philgallo at attglobal.net
Fri Aug 16 18:18:14 CEST 2002

I have seen quite a few tantalum cap's fail mostly due to an effect referred
to as "punch thru".  I have not seen a Tant fail in the past 15 years
however and i have used thousands of them.

I am guessing that when tant's first became popular folks played "fast and
loose" with them as was/is common with aluminum electrolytics.  Tantalum
should not see voltages (including momentary spikes) that exceed their
voltage rating, Tant's can be destroyed by not observing polarity, and this
include inadvertent spikes and voltage reversals resulting from power up or
other less disciplined device states.

I don't generally use Tant's for Power Supplies filters but use them all the
time (subject to availability) for on board "bulk" capacitance. I then use
.01uf ceramics to by pass logic and .1uf ceramics for audio.

Also keep Tant's out of the audio path.

regards,