[sdiy] dx, chorus and Spock

Tim Parkhurst tparkhurst at siliconbandwidth.com
Fri Aug 16 02:21:18 CEST 2002

Gene Stopp wrote:

>Do precise waveforms sound better than "sloppy" ones? What do I mean by
>that anyway?

>I remember building a 4-pole OTA VCF (Electronotes 4-pole 3080 design) and
>it sounded gorgeous.  As I ran a sawtooth into it and swept the cutoff with
>resonance turned up a little, it was passing through each harmonic in the
>signal as though I had a big mixing board in front of me with all of the
>sinewave harmonics in order, and I was fading them in and out one by one in
>sequence. Literally it was like 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd,

>I can't do that on any synthesizer, it seems. I've tried to get the same
>effect since, but no luck. Was it my signal source? I'll bet it was - I was
>using a big HP3325 frequency synthesizer/function generator. The analog

Hi Gene,

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet it was the signal source too. Remember that the
shape of a waveform is a direct result of it's harmonic content. The "Clean"
waveforms you're seeing mean that the harmonics are going to be in the
textbook formation. Any bumps, zits, or non-linearities are the result of
non 'perfect' harmonic structures.

Now, as to whether this is "better" or not, I think it's all in the ear of
the beholder. Look at the waveforms on a Mini and you'll see what I mean.
They're pretty good, but nowhere near as clean and symmetrical as what
you're getting off that HP. However, I think it's better to start out with
the cleanest waveshapes possible, and introduce any non-linearities (or
bumps and zits) on purpose.

Tim Servo

This message is confidential.  The information contained in
this e-mail message is intended only for confidential use of the
recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message.