[sdiy] dx, chorus and Spock

Don Tillman don at till.com
Fri Aug 16 02:20:02 CEST 2002

   > From: Gene Stopp <gene at ixiacom.com>
   > Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:23:52 -0700
   >
   > Do precise waveforms sound better than "sloppy" ones?

I have a theory about our sense of hearing: I claim that we can't hear
waveforms or harmonics very accurately at all, but we are remarkably
sensitive to the subtleties of the *process* that's making the
waveform.

Why?  Millions of years of evolution and survival of the species.  If
there's a bear hunting you down in the forest, the ability to
accurately discern what's causing a funny noise is vital.  Identify
the footsteps, the size of the animal, which direction, how far away,
how fast, on what surface...  In such a situation, the level of the
seventh harmonic is just not important.

So I'd say that precise oscillator processes sound better than sloppy
ones.

(And yeah, Spock's Beard is great.  Especially live; they put on a
wonderful show.)

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman