[sdiy] dx, chorus and Spock

Gene Stopp gene at ixiacom.com
Thu Aug 15 21:39:06 CEST 2002

Yes I know these guys!!! - I think my name is in the liner notes on one or
more of their CD's. :)

Brothers Neil and Alan Morse are originally from Granada Hills near where I
live, and Ryo Okumoto lines in Santa Monica. Ryo used my Mellotrons
sometimes in the studio and whenever they played here in LA (especially the
ProgFest shows), and I re-packaged his Hammond. It was a cut-down B3 and I
removed the lower manual, cut out half the drawbars, and stuck it into three
cases (top manual, tone generator, amp chassis). Not totally hum-free (ever
cut down a Hammond? Wire placement is an art!) but thru a noise gate it was
good enough for rock-n-roll.

Whenever these guys blow through town we always catch the show. Neil's wife
and my wife get together and share kid stories (both pregnant around the
same time). They're a blast, and the music is good too!

Dave the bass player used to be with Eddie somebody (Money? Rabbit?). Nick
the drummer played with the post-Phil Genesis guys at some point, also he's
heading up a Kevin Gilbert tribute here in Thousand Oaks in November at
ProgWest. Kevin Gilbert (rest his soul) was the front-of-house guy at the
ProgFest shows for S.B. He was a lot of fun too, until his untimely demise.
Sheryl Crow was his girlfriend at one point... Ryo tours with somebody
famous (Aretha Franklin? I forget...).

Ah the music biz... I don't have what it takes to be in it, I just provide
vintage stuff once in a while. Gets me into a lot of shows. :)

- Gene