[sdiy] dx, chorus and Spock

jhaible jhaible at debitel.net
Thu Aug 15 20:48:15 CEST 2002

> Yeah I was talking about a different peddle. CE-2 in fact. We're talking
> plug pack here not built in mains.

And I would expect the circuit to be different, too. With all the many
chorus circuits in Roland synths, I have not seen two which are exactly
the same.

> It should be noted that a lot of Roland post 1980 synths' character was
> enhanced mainly by the use of an internal chorus unit. I found for
example,
> that the Juno 106 was far more anaemic than a DX when the chorus was
kicked
> out.

Same for the Juno-6. Whithout chorus, it's good for arpeggios. With chorus,
for everything else.

> Indeed I had always noticed with a DX that by smoothing
> off the top end a bit, it sounded far more full and ballsy. Of course you
> could always run it through a valve stage. Now there's an idea! :)

When I had my DX-7, I had first run it thru a preamp with shelving Hi/Lo
and semiparametric Mids. I found that for most sounds, I wanted the Mids
boosted and the High slightly reduced. Then I built a hard-wired circuit
for exactly this EQ setting ant put it inside the DX-7. With a switch; but
I had the switch normally on.

JH.

PS.: Speaking of Peter Gabriel and his choice of chorus. I love his solo
work as well as his work with Genesis. (Seems like "Up" is finally coming
out this year?). Now a few weeks ago I "discovered" some wonderful Prog
musig from a band called "Spock's Beard". They are around since the mid
90's,
so many of you probably know them, but to me it was all new. I bought
their first album "The Light" and was totally blown away. I must have heard
this 6 or 7 times in succession now. Certainly the best Prog music I heard
in
a long time. To imagine that Genesis would make such music today ...
and "Gibberish" (from another album - I'm just starting to get them all) is
the first song *ever* that could be from Gentle Giant. Sorry for the OT rant
- I just had to share this.