[sdiy] Thumb drum

Tom Arnold xyzzy at sysabend.org
Thu Aug 15 05:51:40 CEST 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 02:26:01PM -0700, Mitchell Hudson wrote:
> 	The midi-brain I don't need. I just want to make a controller that
> you can hit with your hand that will generate a trigger pulse and a
> variable voltage level for some dynamics.
>
> 	The circuit that they describe looks very simple but I'm not sure
> about the piezo element. If this needs to be a special type or
> something. I suspect this is the part paia can no longer get which is
> why they are discontinuing the kit.

Radio Shack.  Get the little black plastic piezo elements.  Make sure
they are the 2 wire ones with no onboard electronics. ( ie - speaker
not beeper ).

I use these with a MidiKiti to trigger midi drum sounds and samples.
Unstead of placing them in a pattern, I have one in a Baby Seal toy,
2 in a teddy bear, and 6 others I randomly velcro around my A-Frames.
Is rather amusing to club a baby seal for a kickdrum...

 - Tom Arnold -       When I was small, I was in love,                  -
 - Sysabend   -       In love with everything.                          -
 - CareTaker  -       And now there's only you...                       -
 --------------         -- Thomas Dolby, "Cloudburst At Shingle Street" -