[sdiy] Dirty sliders

Steve Begin Steve.Begin at pwgsc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 13 17:02:41 CEST 2002

What can I do about dirty sliders?  I've got a mixer with a crossfader that tends to crackle around the far left and right, and often when it's at either extreme it lets a bit of the wrong signal through.  I can't really get at it to clean it, and I'm not quite sure what else I could do.  Somebody suggested WD-40 but I'm not too sure about that.

Also, what about noisy rotary pots?  they seem pretty much sealed off, but sometimes they seem to just get really noisy after a couple decades.  Usually I just spin them back and forth till I get bored and that seems to help, but sometimes they just can't seem to be fixed that way, are they due to be replaced?