[sdiy] FM Synth Designs

Theo t.hogers at home.nl
Tue Aug 13 16:51:18 CEST 2002

I know there are some pp on the list that studied the DX7 patent in more
detail than I did, but until they jump in I'll try my best.

The trick used in the DX is something like a*b=log(a)+log(b)
By making all values log, including the "sine table" the DX can use add
instead of multiply and there is only one log>lin conversion  needed to
generate the final output.
The log>lin conversion is done with a look up table, this might be in the
"rom"chip you describe, maybe together with the logarithmic representation
of the sine table? Combining those two on one ROM seems to make sense to me.
The alternate waveforms on the later models where made by reading the "sine
table" in different ways.
Therefore these units can still use the log+log trick and don't need
multiplication.
If the "sine table" is indeed on the second (rom) chip it should be possible
get the alternate waveforms on a DX7 or DX9 too by inserting some logic in
the addressing lines.

BTW There is a list of the alternate waveforms with spectrum diagrams in the
SY77 manual.

Theo