[sdiy] Metric OT rant -how about that billion thing?

Steve Begin Steve.Begin at pwgsc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 13 16:01:05 CEST 2002

French is close to that too if I remember correctly (I never really have much opportunity to work with numbers in french).

Japanese does something odd with numbers too.  As I remember it, there is a separate word for ten, hundred, thousand, and ten-thousand (unlike the way our term "ten-thousand" is made up of two terms combined).

So if you translated directly for one-hundred-thousand, they'd say ten-ten-thousand.
Not quite sure if that really made sense...er...I should probably give up now...but I've got time to kill so it's like this

10 = juu
100 = hyaku
1,000 = sen
10,000 = man
100,000 = juu-man
1,000,000 = hyaku-man

In practice it doesn't really make much of a difference I'd guess...but it makes it awkward to deal with for somebody who is used to seeing a new unit every three places.