[sdiy] Metric OT rant -how about that billion thing?

James Husted james at ersatzplanet.com
Tue Aug 13 05:12:15 CEST 2002

Do the British (and some other Europeans) still consider a Billion to be
different than we do here in America? I recall at one time they called what
we call a Billion, a thousand-million (1,000,000,000). As in:
Tens, hundreds, thousands, 10s of thousands, hundreds of thousands,
millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions, (US)Billions - (UK)
Thousands of millions, then (US) Tens of billions - (UK) Billions.
 Does this get worse as you get higher? Like millions of billions instead of
a trillion? I bet this plays hell with large overseas bank transfers. I used
to use this as a trick question to win bar bets. Like which weighs more, an
ounce of gold or an ounce of lead? (gold does - precious metals are measured
in troy weight which is 480grains to the oz. not 437.5grains in
avoirdupois).

-James