[sdiy] And you thought repairing a synth was expensive...

Barry L. Klein Barry.L.Klein at wdc.com
Mon Aug 12 19:13:52 CEST 2002

One of my DIY projects was to completely disassemble, refinish, and restore
a Chickering baby grand that I bought from a bar in Laguna Beach.  I bought
a book and spent a bunch of cash but did it to my satisfaction.  Restrung
all the strings, rebuilt the action, but paid to have the keytops resurfaced
(like $200).  Just the damn decals cost a couple hundred or so...
Spent a whole summer on it.  I saw that my kids would probably destroy it
and it looked so cool...  I sold it for probably cost ($2200 or so).  The
people that bought it called that nite - the piano movers broke the hinges
off the top putting it in their truck and when setting it up the top fell
right across them, scratching the whole bottom surface. ("you bought it,
you're stuck with it!!")

There are a couple good books on setting up piano action, tuning, etc.  Once
you get it down for one key, you're set for the other 87!

After I win the lotto though, and buy a much bigger house, I want a full
size Steinway or Boesendorfer (spelling?).  Played one of those at NAMM -
play anything and it sounds awesome.

Barry