[sdiy] Metric OT rant

Magnus Danielson cfmd at swipnet.se
Sun Aug 11 21:23:58 CEST 2002

From: "Tony Allgood" <oakley at techrepairs.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [sdiy] Metric OT rant
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:09:43 +0100

> > we still call our system... "The English system".
>
> Its called the imperial system over here. And it still lives with us in
> many things. For the moment we still buy our beer in pints, have road
> signposts in miles (although footpath signs are going over to Km), weigh
> babies in lbs, and have all wood screws in imperial sizes (metal screws
> are generally metric tough).
>
> Life is never easy :-)

No, especially since a US pint and a UK pint isn't the same volume.
Given the same beer, you won't get as pissed on a US pint as a UK pint.

PS. Kids, don't try this at home - do it in a propper bar!

It is interesting to read what NASA has to say about the use of SI (Metric) vs.
Inch-Pound (as they put it) units. They among other concluded that the fear of
Metric units being more expensive and more difficult to use where an
overestimated fear. They pointed out that there exist many cases showing that
projects having roughly the same costs regardless of them being metric or
inch-pound projects. The specific concern Harry raised (which I do understand
even if I seemed not to take it seriously) about drills, holes and "mechanical
fastners" (NASA term) where specifically handled in the NASA report, and they
found that there experince problem which senior engineers felt where a problem
(just like Harry thought) where too an overestimated problem.

The real story is that USA is that it will shift when it realizes that it is
loosing big bucks since they are the last industrialized country to make the
big shift. That the average US citizen actually better understands SI units
than imperial units shows that another popular line of reasoning doesn't hold.

Regardless of how fun it is, maybe it is time to close this one...

Cheers,
Magnus