[sdiy] And you thought repairing a synth was expensive...

Magnus Danielson cfmd at swipnet.se
Sun Aug 11 00:47:04 CEST 2002

From: patchell <patchell at silcom.com>
Subject: [sdiy] And you thought repairing a synth was expensive...
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:07:58 -0700

Dear Jim,

>     I got a quote last night on how much it is going to cost to get the
> family piano repaired.  It was originally purchased by my
> great-grandparents in 1898.  It is an upright piano.  My sister and
> parents are going to chip in for the repair bill.  My sister is the one
> who wants it, but has no place to put it.  So, I will be stuck with it
> for a while.  The piano technician said it is in good shape, but, it is
> completely worn out.  New strings, new keyboard bushings and tops, and
> an almost complete rebuild on the action.  After seeing the estimate, I
> realized I could probably buy a couple of Arp 2600's for what is going
> to cost.

The least you could do is to buy a MiniMoog to go along with the piano when
your sister do get it. Say that there where no money left over for the dual
ARP 2600 that you thought she should have.

I wonder if my sister still has the Grand piano she inherited or if she has
sold it. I don't recall. It was a Steinway anyway and was naturally much fun to
fool around on when I was young.

But anyway, you are right, repairing or restoring pianos isn't in the same set
of scales as most synth overhauls. I guess there was a reason for home organs
(like those from Hammond) to be so popular.

Cheers,
Magnus